Friday, September 14, 2007

Merlin!

Faux Falcon

I saw a Merlin (Falco columbarius) today. I was walking to the school and paused to talk with a neighbour who was unloading groceries from her car. She said, "Hello," and I said, "Merlin!" The bird came over her house and flew right over my head, then continued across the road where it circled behind some high Douglas firs.

"What?" she said.

"I saw a Merlin, a small falcon," I said. Then something that almost never happens happened. The bird returned and circled over us so she could see it too. We had a wonderful view.

I'm guessing it was a migrant, and just like the people who drive through this town, take a wrong turn and and become mired in this unforgiving suburban labyrinth, was wondering, Where the heck am I and how do I get back to the highway?

No comments: