Monday, October 8, 2007

Fungal finds after the latest storm.

Potato-sized and wonderfully-named Pigskin Poison Puffball, Scleroderma citrinum. Obviously not one of the edible puffballs, and not much of a "puffer" in my experience. Poke it -- it falls apart and turns purple like an insecure supervisor.

Candle-snuff fungus, Xylaria ( X. hypoxylon, I think). These are small, twisty, white-tipped black thingies growing from the roots of a dead birch. Each is about an inch high. Smoke-like wisps of spores waft from the tips if you brush them.

One of the Boletaceae, I'm guessing Pale Roughstem, Leccinum holopus. Edible, speaking species-wise? Probably, but not these particular mushrooms-- they're growing in a nature reserve, which means poisoned karma if you pick one.

Amanita muscaria marching through the grass. Just try not to photograph them. You cannot not. Resistance is futile.

3 comments:

Wanderin' Weeta said...

Hey! Your cat is gone. I miss him.

I think I've seen those candle-snuff fungus, or something very like them, in the Watershed Park. I'll be looking out for them next time, and try for a photo.

A Local Naturalist said...

For you, Fluffy has returned. Thank you for noticing.

The candle-snuffs are exclusively on dead wood I believe, so look for them on stumps and the exposed roots of dead trees.

Hugh

Wanderin' Weeta said...

Thanks for the tip, Hugh.

And, Hi, Fluffy!