Thursday, October 11, 2007

red yellow red

It was a day of mental fog, so I decided to abandon the computer and go find something colourful to stare at.

Here's this. I don't know what it is, but it certainly is red.


And this odd shrub in South McLennan Park is certainly yellow, or getting there. I have not been able to identify it. There were blackened remains of sprays of flowers on upper branches.


Ahh, finally, a familiar plant, Virginia Creeper, a vine from my childhood. This spectacular one has swallowed a telephone pole, and is red, certainly.

2 comments:

tai haku said...

I reckon the red one is either a euonymus of some sort or an amelanchier (probably the latter). The yellow looking thing could be an Aralia.

A Local Naturalist said...

Thank you. The yellow one seems to be Aralia spinosa, native to the eastern US.

Hugh