Monday, November 19, 2007

Carnivores indoors and out: failing my flytrap.

Here is the totality of my house plant collection. I bought it in the summer as an amusement for the children, as I have done before. Now it amuses only me as I wash the dishes, as always happens. The venus flytrap has a relatively small natural range; it is found in bogs in North Carolina and South Carolina, and has become naturalized in Florida. At this time of year it should be dormant, and to be kept properly as an indoor horticultural specimen should be (should have been) placed in a dark, cool place earlier in the fall. I have never done that -- I rarely do what is recommended for house plants, which is why I rarely own more than one at a time. The last flytrap we had, also purchased in summer, flowered at Christmas. It has a simple, white, five-petalled flower on a tall stem, which keeps the pollinators high above the hungry leaves. Of course, if you flower on a kitchen counter at Christmas, the leaf-pollinator-flower arrangement is somewhat moot, but does induce guilt in the dish washer for having failed yet another flytrap.

The round-leafed sundew, our local carnivorous plant, also has a simple, white, tall-stemmed flower, which appears in mid to late summer. The picture here was taken earlier in the season, after a heavy rain. It is worth a click.

2 comments:

Tim said...

Where did you see that sundew? In my years wondering the woods around BC, I saw a wild one just for the first time a few weekends ago, in Maple Ridge.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bubblenest/09CampWhonnock#5337402249901160066

Hugh said...

These were in the Richmond Nature Park, which contains a few scraps of bog habitat.