Thursday, November 1, 2007

Cats, flat and fat.

Suburban apex predator
Here is one good reason to keep suburban/urban cats indoors. Mr. Whiskers was hunting Golden-crowned Kinglets along the edge of a ditch.
A variant of another basic reason for keeping cats indoors is provided by Don Gayton in Interwoven Wild, which is an account of the ecology of his suburb and garden not too far from here. Where he lives, crows drop walnuts onto pavement to break them open. Walnuts apparently have a bounce irresistible to prowling house cats, who race onto the road to snatch them, only to be SUVed. The opportunistic, adaptable (vengeful?) crows then augment their nut meal with poor squished kitty.

What a ghastly story. You just made that up, didn't you?

At any rate, I am quite happy to remain inside. Now go away and leave me alone.

3 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

Ha, ha, ha! Yep those crows are demmed smart they are! I've had my own crow wars.

swamp4me said...

I love my cats but I know they are little killers at heart. They are strictly indoor kitties and have never complained. :)

pookie said...

Yessiree -- indoor-only kitties chez moi. I excessively praise them when they vanquish the dastardly flies and ants.