Friday, November 16, 2007

You see what you are looking for.

I have never seen the image of Jesus in an oil stain on my driveway, nor has the BVM ever miraculously been scorched onto my French toast. Today, however, I discovered that there's an owl etched into the bark of my neighbour's cherry tree.
See it? It looks sort of like a Short-eared Owl.

There! Maybe the "ears" are a bit too far apart for a Short-eared, and the facial disk is a little obscure, but now, whenever I look out the window, my eyes are immediately drawn to it and my subconscious birder-voice yells "Owl!"


And now for some real birds:

A flurry of Bushtits at the suet block. At one point the whole cage was seething with birds, but by the time I retrieved my camera they had started peeling off, one by one, as they are wont to do.

Cute, huh?

2 comments:

swamp4me said...

My sub-conscious birder voice whispered "duck's head in profile..."

A Local Naturalist said...

I can see that too - the "wing" is the "bill." I'll have to keep an eye on it to see what it turns into next.

Hugh