Sunday, March 9, 2008

My hexawordal memoir.

Cicero Sings tagged me for the 6 Word Memoir meme that was started by bookbabie.


It stems from a vague memory, when I was young, younger than my son is now, visiting the old-style bird gallery at the Royal Ontario Museum with my father. There was an old-style diorama showing Passenger Pigeons, real mounted skins perched on branches or foraging for acorns on the forest floor. The back of the display was painted to look like a sky, blackened by an almost infinite flock of pigeons. No bird on earth had ever been so populous.

There was also a black and white photograph of Martha, the last known Passenger Pigeon, who died in the Cincinnati Zoo in 1914. I remember being confused and angered by the diorama. How could they all be gone? And why didn’t I get to see them?



Two decades later as a graduate student at the ROM, I was able to open the cabinets in the avian collection and lift out and examine the stuffed skins, some probably the same specimens that had populated that long-gone diorama. A very bittersweet moment.

Rather than retell the perplexing and disheartening extinction-tale of the Passenger Pigeon, I’ll direct you to these two sites. My 6 word memoir is below the depiction of pigeon slaughter.


Still angry about the Passenger Pigeon.



I don't know enough bloggers who haven't already been tagged, but if you wish to join in, TAG! You're it!


Here are the rules:

1. Write your own six word memoir.
2. Post it on your blog and include a visual illustration ... if you’d like.
3. Link to the person that tagged you in your post and to the original post if possible so we can track it as it travels across the blogosphere.
4. Tag five more blogs with links.
5. Don’t forget to leave a comment on the tagged blogs with an invitation to play!
Also: ... the memoir should be truthful.


4 comments:

bookbabie said...

Very sweet memoir, and certainly the first I've seen mentioning pigeons of any kind. Enjoyed your blog! Thanks so much for playing:)

themarvelousinnature said...

I like your memoir. Those extinctions, near extinctions, population decimations, etc, and general rape of the earth all anger me a lot, too.

Wanderin' Weeta said...

I have a vague memory similar to that; a museum, I think in Chicago, with a diorama including stuffed animals and birds, the first I'd ever seen.

We never went back; my parents weren't "into" museums, except for Bible and "Holy Land" ones.

My loss.

BTW, is "hexawordal" a word?
:)

Hugh said...

w.w.: BTW, is "hexawordal" a word?
:)

It's a word and a half! And then some!