Sunday, April 20, 2008

Orange-crowned Warbler, the summer trillster.

Orange-crowned Warbler, Vermivora celata.

The Orange-crowned Warbler winters in the southern US and subtropical Mexico. It is a relatively common breeding species in much of British Columbia. Here on the south coast it can be found in scrubby deciduous woods.


It forages for insects and other invertebrates among leaves and flowers. This one is poking around in Pieris blossoms.

The call is a descending trill, which can now be heard within the birch and salal "hedge-rows" that surround Richmond's blueberry fields.

The common name evokes an image of something ORANGE. On this particular bird you can actually see a faint wash of orange atop the head. Often there's none.


RUHU of the day. Same bird as yesterday. I think she's nesting in the neighbour's lilac, but I haven't spied the nest.



3 comments:

Chrisss said...

I don't think I've seen the Orange-crowned Warbler as yet, I'll be on the look-out for it in my area. Great capture of the RUHU.

Vasha said...

I'm glad to see that hummingbird back again. I was just a little bit concerned after your report yesterday that she might not survive the cold snap.

Hugh said...

Chrisss, not sure where you are, but Burnaby Lake is good for spring songbirds. Perfect habitat for Orange-crowns and many others.

Vasha, not to worry. These tiny birds are tough as nails. Amazing little creatures. And they take no nonsense from anyone.