Sunday, April 6, 2008

Rufous ruminations.

I've had the hummingbird feeder up since the Ides of March and the sugar water has been disappearing, but only yesterday did I see the first backyard Rufous Hummingbird of 2008. It was a female, who appeared in mid-afternoon and then again around 6PM.


After dinner I sat outside in the cold, camera at the ready, but she didn't return. I saw her this morning, grabbed my camera, sat out in the cold (Why is it so darned cold?), and nothing. So I'm posting pictures of a female taken last year on a warmer day. Perhaps it's the same bird, back from a 6-month vacation to Cabo (where it is probably nice and warm). My plan this year, as it is every year, is to take an exquisite picture of a Rufous Hummingbird. But this year's plan is modified from last year's. It includes Part A: buy a new camera.



Part B is the same: Sit outside and wait. Preferably on a much warmer day. Brrrr.

6 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

So what camera are you considering? Or have you a short list yet?

Hugh said...

I'm looking at digital SLRs and am thinking Canon. Because I don't want to spend an enormous amount of money I'm considering the EOS Rebel XTI, which now costs about the same as what I paid for Mr. Hesitation (Olympus C-750 Ultra-zoom) five years ago.

It seems fully compatible with my OS, and is highly rated by Flickr users.

pookie said...

How do you know this hummy is a female?

Hugh said...

Males are rusty-orange, with a gorget that reflects scarlet.

pookie said...

Ha ha! "gorget" -- a new word for me. Thanks.

Mel said...

I looove hummingbirds!! Don't get to see so many around the house anymore :(