Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Incompetent bee.

Yesterday: poppy bud, about to pop.


The flower opened overnight, is so fresh that one of the sepals remains attached.


The others have fallen.


So, looking forward to the annual pink poppy photo, the pristine picture before pollen gets knocked all over the place, I lowered the lens toward the bloom, and what the heck? A bee is in there, struggling, making a mess. She can't get out, is slipping on the petals like a mouse in a sink. I lowered a twig to assist.


Dumb bee. The poppy has been beesmirched.


7 comments:

GardenJoy4Me said...

So now you are a bee keeper or 'keeper" of a bee ? LOL
Beautiful pictures .. hope to have our poppies up and running their bloomers soon too : )
Joy

Connie said...

I love poppies! So do the bees. :-)

themanicgardener said...

Maybe this is why the term "bumbling" is so often applied to bees. The poppy still looks loverly.
--Kate

Nancy J. Bond said...

What an exquisite, delicate color! I've only ever had oriental reds in my beds. Poor bee...perhaps she was just having a snooze. :)

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Beautiful flower.

Stuart said...

Great "time-lapse" pics of your poppy. Had the bee gotten in before it had completely opened or was this just the early bird eager to strike while the iron was hot?

Hugh said...

I think it had already opened. I saw the flower early in the morning, and it was perfect and bee-less. I waited too long to go take a picture.