Thursday, June 5, 2008

Speaking of ducks.

“Mepp.”

“Oh, I hear a gadwall.”

“A what?”

“A gadwall. It’s a duck that says ‘mepp.’ There it is, down in the ditch.”

Gadwall, Anas strepera.

“Why’s it called a gadwall?”

“I dunno. Why’s a scaup called a scaup?”

“What’s a scaup?

“Another kind of duck, but not the sort you’d find in a ditch.”

“Oh.”

“Wigeon, scoter, garganey, smew.”

“What?”

“More duck names.”

“Oh.”

"Mepp."

According to The Birder’s Handbook - A Field Guide to the Natural History of North American Birds, “The origins of Gadwall are obscure; the name may be connected to the Anglo-Saxon gad, meaning “a point,” and referring to the fine teeth on the bill.”

Ref:
Ehrlich, P.R., D.S. Dobkin and D. Wheye. 1988. The Birder’s Handbook - A Field Guide to the Natural History of North American Birds. Simon & Schuster, Inc. 785 pp.

3 comments:

super lotto said...

Well, all I can say is. Im hungry.

Jane Marie said...

I must say, this is a very unusual blog. I like it, I really like it.

Hugh said...

Thanks, Jane Marie. Thank you for visiting and please come again!