Sunday, July 20, 2008

Summertime blues.


How many blueberry farms can you drive by, with their blue-lettered signs declaring FRESH BLUEBERRIES! before you lose control of the steering wheel and are drawn into a driveway? The answer today, about three. And these are only the early berries, rarely as uniformly large and plump as those yet to come. From now until the end of August we will be stopping unpredictably at whichever farms for whatever reason suddenly seem most sincere, and stocking up. Around Christmas, when the freezer is still three-quarters full of bags of the things, we'll wonder what we were thinking.

Easy: FRESH BLUEBERRIES! (Ain't no cure.)

5 comments:

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Yummy, we need to drive a little east of here to get some soon.

Cicero Sings said...

Blueberry pie, blueberry smoothies, blueberry crisp, blueberry cake, blueberry topped puff pancake ... one can never have too many blueberries. We get 50 lbs a year. Besides, they are VERY good for you.

kd said...

Wow! You managed to pass 3 driveways into berry farms? That's serious self-control -- I would have been swerving into a U-turn after the first sign!


/krys

Amy said...

Pretty and Yummy! The daily double!
I went out to our bushes the other day and snapped a few pictures of the berries, too. When I came in, I was asked one question of my photo shoot: "Why?" I said, "Because they ARE summer!" I stand firmly by my reasoning. The cinnamon blueberry bread that will be made tomorrow will also support this.
Plus... I had to document their existence before the blue jays nibbled them into oblivion.

Shibaguyz said...

Now I want fresh blueberries... and it's the middle of the night... what's a guy to do???

We were just talking today about adding a blueberry bush or two to the neighborhood landscaping. Do a little guerilla gardening and dress up the parking strips with blueberry bushes... YUM!!