Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Molehenge.

Lawn art courtesy of Coast Mole, Scapanus orarius.

From Nagorsen (1996:132): "Digging is most pronounced in autumn and winter when the soil is moist and easy for moles to work. This is the time of year of when Coast Moles may expand their range into new areas. It has been estimated that between October and March one Coast Mole can construct as many as 400 molehills."

Ref:

Nagorsen, D.W. 1996. Opossums Shrews and Moles of British Columbia. UBC Press. 169 pp.


5 comments:

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Molehenge snicker snicker.

cedrorum said...

Molehenge is occuring in our backyard as well. Our dogs are trying their darndest to get those little buggers.

Cicero Sings said...

Oh, oh!!

inadvertentfarmer said...

LOL...great post title! BTW, I hate moles. I know they are good for the soil, yadda, yadda but the darn creatures make your garden a mess. I don't care about the yard but when they dig through my raised beds then that is going to far!

Karen said...

Hee hee. Glad that particular earthworks is not happening in my garden (oh, I just jinxed myself). I suffer with the squirrels but no moles that I can discern. I'm sure they'll find me someday.