Friday, November 28, 2008

001

Eastern Grey Squirrel, Sciurus carolinensis.

I have a gadget on my computer that creates a continuous, tiny slide show of the pictures in the “My Pictures” directory. Every so often one catches my eye and I click on it, usually because I don’t know exactly what it is or why I took it. A squirrel? When did I take a picture of a squirrel – and an Eastern Grey Squirrel at that, a dirt-common, introduced pest ?

On April 19, 2008, that’s when. Significance? That’s the day I bought my most recent camera. After charging the battery, I went outside and pointed the camera at the first thing to happen along.

Click, a squirrel. 001.jpg.

It would be interesting to have an album of all the first shots taken with all the cameras one has owned since childhood. A blur of blurs, perhaps. That Keystone instamatic with the magic cube flash? Hmmmmm.

It was probably also a squirrel.

3 comments:

cedrorum said...

Oh my God. I hadn't though about those magic cube flashes in quite a while. Thanks for the memory. When I was a kids I figured out how to set them off without them being on the camera. My mom didn't like that very much.

Hugh said...

Ha ha! They were a weird bit of technology. They more or less self-destructed when they fired.

Karen said...

I had one of those flash-cube cameras too. My family has never done too well with photography... I think that's a pretty good 001 shot! That squirrel looks kind of nefarious.