Friday, November 7, 2008

Schlump!

I never finished carving the last pumpkin. I opened it and emptied it and left it lidless on the picnic table outside the back door, where it sat for a week in rainy weather.

In my defence, it still looked like a complete, solid pumpkin, albeit a pumpkin full of murky orange water.

Its integrity held until it was about six inches above the table, at which point it, in my hands, turned into a soggy paper bag full of mush.

I must have sworn or something.


I stood there with goo on my hands, yelling in the back door, “Oh, nothing!”


Salt shovels and hockey sticks, very handy.


4 comments:

Karen said...

Schlumpkin, maybe? Ew! I have had that experience many times. I don't have a salt shovel, so a garden spade has to do. No hockey stick either, that looks like a handy spatula!

themanicgardener said...

Definitely ew. I have NOT had this experience many times, and I hope it stays that way.

My sympathy to the two of you.
--Kate

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

That sounds like something that would happen at our place. Hope it wasn't smelly

Hugh said...

Karen, I love schlumpkin. A great word that will come in handy I'm sure.

Kate, as long as you do not leave your pumpkins open and unattended, it should not happen to you.

Aunt Debbi, LOL. Unfortunately it is the sort of thing that does happen here on occasion. And not smelly at all (if you hold you breath).