Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Teasel. A spectacular weed that keeps on giving.

Yesterday’s web-hunt at Paulik Park was not particularly challenging. There were webs galore; it would have been more difficult to find a surface not to some degree en-webbed.

I came across the mid-fall version of the teasels I wrote about in mid-summer. Most had been cleared from the beds but a few remained standing.

Recall their unusual, wave-like flowering sequences, as described in July. They are an interesting weed (although considered potentially invasive) for the structural complexity they add to a garden.

They even liven up the compost heap.

3 comments:

GardenJoy4Me said...

Hugh .. I am fascinated by these plants .. they look amazing to me no matter what their position. I have been trying to grow large sea holly (Miss Willmott's Ghost)and I have had no luck .. these teasels might work in my garden ? LOL
Beautiful pictures !
Joy

Crafty Gardener said...

some teasels would look lovely in my winter greenery arrangements. I'd better get out and start looking before the snow covers them all up.

Hugh said...

GJ4M, I'm sure they would work. (Maybe too well! I think it's considered invasive in Ontario)