Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tree hugging: assorted conifers.

I have been known to hug trees. Not in an environmentally activistic way so much as in an affectionate, literal way. I often hug beech trees, because they're my favourites. Long ago, on my first day visiting Singapore, I got up early and wandered through the neighbourhood and came to a house with a palm tree in the front yard. The tree had a remarkably smooth trunk--like poured concrete. I turned to see a man in pajamas standing on his porch, holding a tea cup, wondering why a strange white person was hugging his tree.

Next time you hug a tree, look up.


Sitka spruce, Picea sitchensis.


Douglas fir, Pseudotsuga menziesii.

Douglas fir, Pseudotsuga menziesii, split trunk.

Giant sequoia, Sequoiadendron giganteum.

4 comments:

cedrorum said...

I may have to steal this idea from you for a post of trees down here in the southeast.

Hugh said...

Please do! Those pines of yours!

Camera Trap Codger said...

I am with you, Bro. I do the same thing. And I still climb trees, too. Why are we misunderstood? Is it that most everyone else is blind?

Hugh said...

I dunno, Codger, but your comment cheers me no end.