Sunday, December 14, 2008

Birds and snow.

We had our first real snow of the year last night, about two inches. It was not expected; a minor low pressure system swirling off the coast just brushed us, bumping into the south-moving arctic blob that has dropped temperatures below freezing. Apparently it's going to stick around for while too. I may even have to wear gloves!

The cold and covered ground has brought everyone to the feeder. I've photographed all these birds many times before, but the snowy background freshens them up somehow. House Finch is pretty enough to be an ornament.


Poor Spotted Towhee cannot scratch among the leaves, and is pretending to be arboreal, working his way up to the feeder.

Three Northern Flickers were here at once. This one appears to be the Yellow-shafted race.

Another one fends off the starlings, who, of course, win in the end.

They always win.

4 comments:

GardenJoy4Me said...

Love the the little finches ! They always provoke a "cute" reaction from me no matter what they do !

Linda Navroth said...

Poor birdies! They have such a hard life and when it gets cold it's even harder. You are kind to keep feeders up! Beautiful photos, too.

I likE plants! said...

I love your pictures of these species. I may never get a chance to see them in the wild. Thanks for sharing! Looks like you have lots of snow up there! Stay warm.

Eric

Hugh said...

Thanks, Eric. It's unusually snowy and cold here. I'll keep watching your blog to remind me what warmth (and pretty plants) is (are).