Saturday, December 27, 2008

Slushmageddon

And so it begins, the great melting...

An unknown amount of rain on top of 18 inches of snow = very fun. Last night, as we left a postponed Christmas party, it was sleeting. How often does one get to stand outside in genuine, driving sleet?


Speaking of driving, we made it almost all the way home without getting stuck. It was the left turn onto our sidestreet that was our undoing--straight into Mt. Slushmore, as stuck as stuck can be.

Some very nice people, like magic elves with shovels, came from behind a cedar hedge and started digging. I had my shovel in the trunk too, just in case. Eventually we were able to back out onto the main road and take another run at it from a better angle. Success!

But today, digging out the storm drains--ow, I hurt all over.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Hope your muscles recover! I delegated the snow dig-out to the other 2/3 of the family, I was in charge of plant snow-removal though. Gonna be interesting to see what survives. Goodbye, snow!

cedrorum said...

This post reminds me of why I shouldn't bitch about not getting snow where we live :)

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

Nice to know that someone else got as much snow as we did.
We get stuck at the driveway slushmageddon also. Unfortunately for us, we don't have wonderful little elves popping out to help shovel.

By any chance? Is that header a photo of White Rock Beach? All this time, and I had no idea that you might be living in the same area of the country as I.

LOL, isn't life grand!

Jen

Hugh said...

Karen, yes, I've had enough.

Cedrorum, I always wish for snow, because we rarely get much. A classic case of being careful what you wish for.

Jen, about the header, close! It's taken from Centennial Beach in Tsawwassen.

Amy said...

Ugh...you folks down south have really been hammered by winter this year. I can just imagine the aching muscles! My husband is heading out to shovel...again. Though this time I think he's bribed the kids to pitch in :)

Amy