Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Prelude to a murder.

Sometimes the birds are there, sometimes they aren't. Today, the latter. In the distance, crows are raising a racket, suggesting raptor, but the location seems to be in a private woodlot. And there you are with 1132 shots left on your camera card.

Find an impromptu theme, something non-bird that that will allow a reduction of that number.

Today's theme: High Entropy Plants.


Example 1. Birches expanding and falling apart at the same time.


Example 2. Willow gone wild.


Example 3. Himalayan blackberry sea. This, believe it or not, is someone's back yard.

And then...cacophony! Hundreds of crows arrive, having vanquished their foe. They turn on each other in the high branches of the firs.

Switch to High Entropy Birds.


A murder of crows.

2 comments:

KaHolly said...

I love your pics today. I went x-country skiing for the 3rd time yesterday and it was crusty. I spent more time on my back than skiing. The trees from that vantage point were gorgeous!! My camera was tucked inside my jacket, so unaccessible while I was floundering around. I don't think skiing is for me.

Karen said...

Love it - entropy in the plant kingdom. Wow, that's a whole lotta blackberries. I pity the fool who has to take care of that brush-clearing nightmare someday! Did you know that one of your countrywomen, Susan Fleming, is doing a documentary for CBC about crows and how freaking smart they are? She filmed part of it here in Seattle and I met her by chance. It's called, yeah, "A Murder of Crows." I hope to get to see it someday.