Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spring progresses, in yard and ditch.

Today was sunny and reasonably warm. There was no excuse not to grub out the gardens in the backyard and haul around loads of soil in a wheel barrow. So that is what I did. Hard work, all that grubbing and hauling.

There were rewards to being outside though. At one point there were seven(!) Bald Eagles circling overhead. And then, that unmistakable June bug-on-steroids buzz---the wing-whirr of the first male Rufous Hummingbird of the year! The wing sound is much louder than that of the Anna's I have become so accustomed to over the past few months. He went to the feeder, took a small sip, then bugged out. He was a splendid, chunky little RUHU with a scarlet gorget.

I dug out some of the odious gout weed, then called it a morning. After lunch, I went for a ride along the trail behind the blueberry farms, and was rewarded again. I glanced down into the ditch and saw an emerging baby shopping cart. Tiny, and still covered with benthic ditch stuff. Welcome to the world, little cart.

Shopping cart alevin, with pink yolk sac.


3 comments:

Wanderin' Weeta said...

Oh, such a cute baby! :D

Seriously, though, those are one of the things I least understand about "civilization"; if you don't want something, why steal it?

Kim and Victoria said...

Ha Ha! I couldn't tell what it was in the photo, thought it was some sort of plant called "baby shopping cart". Then I enlarged it, and ....That's so odd!

Hugh said...

It really is a shopping cart, metal with a plastic handle--and about 2 feet long.