Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Garden City Park: today's fauna.

I cut through Garden City Park today, on an errand, not intending to stop (well, that's not entirely true. I had my camera with me, meaning I was willing to stop if something caught my eye or ear). It was ear first:

A male Downy Woodpecker was hammering away on the metal sheeting at the top of a power pole. He really had found a choice spot; at first I thought I was hearing construction equipment.


Then I saw the handsome profile of a Western Wood-Pewee, perched artistically on a dead branch.

And finally, surprise sighting of the day (although these are beginning to become less surprising; this year has produced a surfeit):

An Indigo Buggy.


2 comments:

swamp4me said...

Oh! An indigo! They are may favorite.

It's Time to Live... said...

Love the woodpecker sounding out his territory on the post. Metal is louder than wood! Thanks for the read and the images.