Thursday, May 7, 2009

Self-editing garden.


I bought a planter four years ago and planted it with a mint, and some thyme. The thyme didn't take very well, and withered away. The mint, discovering that it didn't have an entire garden to conquer, died out of spite.

Over time, wall lettuce moved in, as it will everywhere. Not so fast, I said, and plucked it out. Then I more or less ignored this little blue ceramic-bound world. And look what splendour came of that!

A pair of fern gametophytes found their way in, and bumped into each other. And then a seed or two of Heuchera arrived. Lo and behold, attractiveness! My garden knows better than I do what goes where.

5 comments:

PSYL said...

I guess Mother Nature is a pretty gifted planter-arranger as well. Is there anything she can't do!?

Helen said...

Yes, often the plant will tell you where they want to grow. I've had Veronica die where planted, yet the seedlings it volunteered are still increasing, and making new families.

Of course, my vision of self-sewn forget-me-nots beneath the yellow tulips has always been stymied. The tulips come up fine, but the myosotis is much happier right in the middle of the pathway.

Wanderin' Weeta said...

My daughter gave me a tiny planter a few years ago. I set it outside and thought about what plants would fit. After a bit, it had collected a base of dust and dead leaves, and moss was growing on it. It's been a moss planter ever since. Why argue with a volunteer?

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Mint died out of spite, too funny. The container looks great.

kompoStella said...

:-D