Monday, June 29, 2009

Pretty thing.


This was sitting, in a pot, in an empty spot in a planter outside the front door this morning. Imagine my surprise. There were two tags attached. One was a thank you card, explaining the reason for the gift. The second was a list of instructions. The last said,

"After the spike has lost all its flowers, cut under 3 cm below the first bloom, a new branch may be emerged to re-bloom, place near a south window. 18-25degreesC different and bloom between 17-20degreesC."

The temperature part confuses me. This is my first orchid. Am I allowed to remove the twist-ties?

5 comments:

mr_subjunctive said...

Yes, you may remove the twist ties, though the flower stems are heavy and floppy and you're probably better off with the added support. This is particularly the case if the plant is potted in bark (which IMO it should be), because the bark mixes don't do much to hold the plants down.

I don't really get the temperature thing either. Where I used to work, we moved the orchids (including the Phalaenopsis, like you have) outside to deep shade during the summer, and they seemed to appreciate it. We didn't bring them in until the evening temperatures were forecast to be in the neighborhood of 40F. Can't see that it did them any harm, and many reflowered a couple months later, though the usual recommendation is to stay above 60F.

Wanderin' Weeta said...

Nice! I had one given to me and it lasted about 10 years, with minimal care, flowering every year.

The only thing I could do wrong, in its opinion, was to move it. Once it settled into its corner, it wanted to stay put.

Hugh said...

Mr. S, I was hoping you'd drop by & share a bit of your wisdom. Thanks very much for the id and the information.

WW, I hope I can make it last a fraction as long. It has what I think is a suitable corner; I hope it likes it.

Kim and Victoria said...

I bought my first orchid this spring. I'm hoping it lives.

Karen said...

Orchids scare me, as do all houseplants, really. I can never get the hang of proper temperature, humidity, watering schedules, fertilizers, etc. Come to think of it, I have trouble with that stuff outside too! But at least the soil and rain are there to give me a hand sometimes. Good luck, it's lovely!