Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Typha through the seasons.

There's a small clump of cattails (Typha sp.) in the middle of Paulik Park. I find cattails interesting, and feel a need to photograph them, apparently--although I find them difficult to photograph well. Among other issues, it's hard to decide: portrait or landscape? Clicking back through my files I find I have photographed the clump over the year, roughly at the solstices and equinoxes.

A cattail year:

September 13, 2008.


December 15, 2008.


March 17, 2009.


June 22, 2009. Note pollen-producing male flowers on top, female flowers below (what eventually form the fluffy seed heads). Both pollen and seeds are wind-dispersed.





3 comments:

Carol said...

I was just looking at a small stand today and wondering how to photograph them. I like the series.

www.riverwildlife.blogspot.com

Hugh said...

Hi Carol. They're a challenge--sort of 2-D but really not. Plus you lose the mass effect in portrait, but lose the elegant tallness in landscape.

Karen said...

Portrait or landcape comes up a lot for me too. I think you have found the benefits of both, here - the stretch of a single stem, or the unique grouping of each clump.