Monday, July 13, 2009

Bee in 2-D.

Bombus vosnesenskii (flat).

Today I received a copy of Fixing My Gaze, by Susan R. Barry. As I understand (from listening to a radio interview of the author), it is the story of how after decades of non-stereoscopic vision, Barry, who is a neurobiologist, trained her brain to fuse left- and right-eye images, and could suddenly see in three dimensions.

This book is of interest to me, because like Barry and countless others I developed strabismus early in childhood and never developed --or I lost--the ability to see stereoscopically, even after corrective surgery (three surgeries in my case).

This has been a significant issue in my life. Poor depth perception, frequent double-vision--I stopped driving in my early 20s because it seemed I was tempting fate. Not an easy choice considering I had set my sights (hah) on field biology as a career. (I had already ruled out professional tennis player.)

How did she do it? How can it work? What does the world look like in 3-D? Can't wait to find out.

Barry, Susan R. 2009. Fixing My Gaze. Basic Books, NY.


6 comments:

Tatyana said...

Hi Hugh! I hope this book can help you in finding answers on your questions.

Hugh said...

Thank you very much Tatyana.

Eskarina Smith said...

Hugh, Your stories and especially your images suggest you can already see the world far better than most (how many people did not see that eagle in the parking lot). It makes me think of Monty Roberts (The Man Who Listens to Horses) who claims that some of his success with horses is attributable to his monochromatic vision.

Hugh said...

Thank you Eskarina.

spinyurchin said...

But won't you be constantly saying things like, "My god, watch out for that (insert seemingly threatening object here) whilst pinwheeling your arms about in a defense gesture, all under the baffled gaze of friends and onlookers who are used to 3-D? Is that what you want?

Hugh said...

Spiny, I could live with that. It would balance out the childhood nightmares in centre field, waiting for the looping fly to bounce off my forehead. That baffled them too.