Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Droopy Joe.

There is a patch of self-seeded Joe Pye Weed (Eutrochium purpureum) in the back yard. It is a perennial, native to eastern and central North America. It prefers lake edges, ditches and other damp places, which is why it looks unhappy in the well-drained soil of my garden.


When it first emerged, I was puzzled as to its identity. It looked weedy, and I was tempted to pull it, but decided to wait at least until I knew what it was. I'm glad I waited. It's a handsome plant, which should have upturned corymbs of pink-purple flowers.

I'll give it a soaking, cheer it up.


3 comments:

spinyurchin said...

I was just watering my Handsome Droopy Joe not but a few moments ago.

Dave said...

I love Joe Pye. Wish the deer weren't so fond of it here.

Hugh said...

Spiny, I wonder how common is this easterner in our gardens. (I just watered mine now.)

Dave, in the land of Joe Pye, O to have deer.