Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Go fly a kite on Canada Day.

Unrelated but patriotic artwork provided by national rodent, Castor canadensis.

A sunny, windy Canada Day. We went out for lunch, and bought a kite at Crappy Tire (8 bucks). Got it home and opened the box to find that it contained a repackaged broken kite, probably returned to the store for a refund, then, instead of being inspected and tossed, put back on the shelf to be sold again.

I went to the loonie store at the corner mall and bought a kite for a toonie, a batwing kite with a snarling leopard graphic. I used the string from the Crappy Tire kite because it was more robust, and heck if the two-dollar kite didn't fly like an eight-dollarer. So the kids flew a kite in the wind, in the sun, on Canada Day.

I hope you've had a good Canada Day, regardless of citizenship or location.

6 comments:

Tim said...

We checked out the Salmonfest in Steveston for the first time. Parade, lots of people, and plenty of food vendors and outdoor entertainment. Glad we biked there.

A few sightings of bald eagles in the morning along the south dyke, one being harassed by crows, and another chasing down a seagull.

Happy C Day!

Hugh said...

Tim,
Biking, especially along the dyke, is a good way to get there--as long as there's a safe place to lock up. I haven't been lately; I think the Tall Ships madness left me scarred.

Happy C Day to you too!

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

No holiday for us here in Texas so I went to work. That's okay, working at the library is like a smart vaction every day.

randomtruth said...

Fun! But then, you could write about nonsense and use "loonie" and "toonie" and I would have still enjoyed it! Happy Canada Day! :)

Hugh said...

Aunt Deb, Lucky you. It sounds like fun.

Ken, thank you, I think. Canadians use "loonie" and "toonie" unironically. To blend, one must learn not to snicker.

randomtruth said...

No offense/tease meant! Love that Canadia slang. A band I like called the Weakerthans sing about counting loonies at the dollar store and it brings a smile to my face every time.