Friday, July 10, 2009

Spiky things.

Things are roaring along, garden-wise. Lots of tall, spiky flowering plants to catch the eye. Above is an oddity, a native invading the somewhat exotic. It's fireweed, Epilobium augustifolium, hanging out with its confamilial (member of same family; Onagraceae), a horticultural variety of evening primrose (Oenothera sp.) More on both here.

Next, a mystery plant (to me), although I would guess it is in the figwort gang, (Scrophulariaceae). It was just standing there, so I took its picture.

Update: It is Verbascum chaixii 'Album'. Thanks to Doreen of the Richmond Garden Club for the ID.


This explosion of yellow came from yesterday's bumblebee garden. It is loosestrife, Lysimachia sp. I have posted about it, and loosestrifedness previously.


But for supreme wow-ness, here's this, a red hollyhock in Paulik Park. I almost fell off my bike.

3 comments:

mr_subjunctive said...

Crap. I almost know what your NOID is. Or more accurately, I know I've seen it before, and could find out what it was if I went back to my former employer. Maybe if I just thought about it really hard. . . .

Hugh said...

Well Mr. S., I'll wait as your hard drive spins. There's nothing more I can so.

spinyurchin said...

Bah! Showy, tarty hollyhocks tarting it up in front of the weeds. Bah, I say! Bah!