Saturday, July 11, 2009

Strangers in the night...

During last night's bat search, something clammy reached out from a stand of cattails and touched my elbow.

A friendly, inquisitive(?) snail. I tried several times to take its picture, but the camera insisted on focusing on the leaves behind. I had my son hold a flashlight on the creature so that I could manually focus, and got the above image, and then, drawn by the flashlight beam,

an attention-seeking moth arrived.

It was very mothy, and moderately batty last night. Lots of humans hooting and hollering in the park and throughout the neighbourhood too. Warm summer weekend nights--whoo, fun.


4 comments:

PSYL said...

Cool.

And how was the bat search?...with the bat detector, I persume?

Hugh said...

It went well, thank you. From the second I turned on the BD, there were bats being detected. There were lulls, but mostly there were bats.

nina at Nature Remains. said...

I love nighttime hikes!

spinyurchin said...

Once again, a useful child.