Monday, August 10, 2009

Bee buzzing blossom.

The rain abated. I went outside and accidentally stepped on a Grove Snail that was celebrating the new damp regime. Ow, sorry. A slow-moving bumblebee was buzz-pollinating the Japanese anemones. It was extremely inefficient in its foraging. It didn't fly from one flower to the next, but instead went on looping sky-flights between blossoms, landing randomly on another flower, sometimes the one it had just left. Bumblebee indeed. This may be Bombus perplexus, the Confusing Bumblebee, but I'm not sure. Somewhere out there must be a Bombus expert intent on correcting all online misidents. Bravo, bee hero, please do.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I find bee ID very vexing. I need a good book on bee behavior and types. Any recs? Something engaging and not too dry-ish. Like our current weather. Oh, if that was a snail like the ones in my garden, I wouldn't say sorry. I'd just look for the next one. Crunch!

spinyurchin said...

I wish my Bumblebee book could help, but alas, the pics are not all they are said to bee (ha...I said bee). All the pics seem to show bumblebees that are all so similar looking. Arg. I wish there were a bumblebee expert. We could rent that person out for an hour... how marvy would that be? Kinda like a bumblebee hooker....

Seabrooke said...

Oh, I thought you were going to say you thought it was Bombus perplexus because of his apparent state of confusion with regards to foraging.

Hugh said...

Spiny, a bumblebeeologist would have to be paid top dollar, much more than a the average taxonomist.

Seabrooke, Pehaps that's the etymology. Maybe it keys out via a couplet that says, "Clueless foraging habits."