Thursday, September 10, 2009

Hatching nuts.

Red-breasted Nuthatch. Click to see the stubby wings and tail.

I was enjoying the profusion of late summer flowers at Paulik Park, and became aware of small, winged seeds spinning down from above. I looked up, wayyyy up. Black-capped Chickadees and Red-breasted Nuthatches were working through the ripe Douglas fir cones.

Nuthatch probing.

Nuthatch with prize.

Here's what a Douglas Fir seed looks like, with CDN penny for scale (same size as US penny).

5 comments:

swamp4me said...

I love red-breasted nuthatches! We don't get to see them every year but when we do get them I stuff 'em to the gills with sunflower seeds.

swamp4me said...

Oh, and Canada has very attractive coins...

Tim said...

The diameter of the penny may be the same, but our penny is only 91% as thick as a US penny, as any bank teller will attest.

Hugh said...

Swampy, Nuthatches are among my favourites. They're smart and peevish. Some country should put them on their money. Our loon dollar coin is called the loonie. Some place should have a nuttie.

Hugh said...

Tim, and not long ago, briefly, it was was 110% as thick.