Friday, October 16, 2009

Candy tree.

This katsura tree is getting prettier every day, but heavy rain is now falling, which may shorten the show. I learned in a comment from spinyurchin on a previous post that the yellowing leaves smell like caramelized cotton candy. A bit of googling suggested this to be true. The tree above is fenced off, therefore unsniffable, but fortunately our next door neighbours have one in their yard--which is why I was up on a stepladder, leaning over the fence, smelling their tree this morning. It smelled like rain.

6 comments:

Karen said...

To me, the ones on the ground are those that smell nifty. Wait until they fall, pick up a few and crush them in your hands, then smell. I bet you will get a rush of that candy odor, or maybe you'll think it's more strawberry, or we found one at the Arboretum that evoked soy sauce.

Earl Cootie said...

There are a few katsuras several blocks to the west of us. Perhaps, once it's dark enough, I can sneak over there to gather some fallen soy sauce candy leaves.

Hugh said...

Karen, I tried that too. I even brought some in and gave them a very brief zap in the microwave. There was a slight, leafy sweetness, but I haven't yet experienced the desired phenomenon. I shall try again.

Georgia said...

The interstices of Ponderosa pine bark smell like caramel (butterscotch).

Garden Lily said...

If your neighbours saw you, they must have considered you odd... Our katsura up the block lost all its leaves (which ranged from yellow to purplish) the last time it rained. I had hoped for a photo, but alas, too late.

spinyurchin said...

Hahaha!