Sunday, October 25, 2009

Crow eats elderberries, goes insane.

I always wait for the birds to clear off the last of the blue elderberries before I prune back the shrub known as Big Blue, which is part of the autumn yard-tidying routine. The most common berry eaters are dainty House Finches and Black-capped Chickadees.

However, this year a Northwestern Crow has been taking a large share of them. And I wonder what effect the berries are having on its brain, or its sobriety.

Why did it decide to start dismantling the garage roof?

No more berries for you, crow. You're cut off.

7 comments:

randomtruth said...

Crows are just plain ole hooligans. They recently did the same at my house - ate a bunch of privet berries and started playing with the tiles on my roof. Fortunately mine are terracotta, so they couldn't tear them up like yours.

Hugh said...

Smart hooligans. It cued in on the one bad shingle along the roofline, the one I knew needed replacing, and then went from there. I wonder if roofers train crows.

Crafty Green Poet said...

crows are very persistent and destructive, aren't they?

randomtruth said...

Corvids - the smartest of birds. Have you seen the infamous wire/hook experiment?

spinyurchin said...

"And then he said, I said,...you....hic...hey...you...chickadee... this is my...hic... shingle..."

Karen said...

That is just nuts. Did you actually see the crow pick off the shingles? What could have been the motivation? I have heard of raccoons doing that. Maybe they are giving the crows lessons in how to be annoying.

Hugh said...

Karen. Didn't see it happen, but it happened mid-day. There were elderberries among the damage. I think a crow plucked a bunch of berries (which I've seen them do previously), sat on the roof eating them, and when a few fell among the shingles, tried to dig them out.