Saturday, October 24, 2009

Euonymously red.

Euonymus alatus, the winged Euonymus or "burning bush," is a native of China and Japan. Here, it serves as a modest green street-shrub for much of the year, but in October turns startling crimson and produces bright orange-red berries. But then the leaves suddenly fall off, and it sinks back into the background until the following autumn.

One website described it as an "overused shrub." Who is allowed to make that judgment? I say, revel in the red for as long as it lasts. Soon we'll be starved for colour.

Euonymus is hard to type. Finger memory wants to turn it into an adjective. Euonymous.

3 comments:

Rebecca @ In The Garden said...

Wonderful pictures, I just love the colour. I also tend to type 'Eunonymous'. Mine went from green to yellow/grey (due to snow/cold) and the leaves fell off. :(

Karen said...

I agree heartily, always enjoy seeing them during their flame-out. I guess in a mass, they can be a little much at this time of year, and boring the rest of the time. Maybe one peeking out of greenery is a little more unexpected? Dunno. I couldn't spell that one from memory if I tried!

Garden Lily said...

I have 5 of them, and treasure each one. They grow surprisingly fast, but I'll happily continue to make room for them. So tidy and green in summer, so gloriously red for those few weeks in Fall. Even the bare bush with red berries is gorgeous.