Sunday, October 4, 2009

They're ba-ack.

Yesterday we were out near the airport. We head a loud report (one of YVR's bird-scaring noisemakers), followed by the stirring cacophony of thousands of Lesser Snow Geese taking wing. They are already back in large numbers, with more arriving daily. It seems they only just left for Siberia.

Check the west dike of Richmond, or visit the Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary on Westham Island to see them. For more info on Pacific Northwest Lesser Snow Goose population sizes, etc., see this source.


Collision course with heron.


He's outta here. Hear him muttering, "There goes the neighbourhood."

2 comments:

PSYL said...

Cool! I can't wait to see them again.

I wonder if Environment Canada is still counting the population since it has been a while since 2003.

Hugh said...

Hey PSYL, I'm sure they'll be glad to see you too! And I would bet they are still being monitored by EC. I expect the Russians and Americans also monitor them.