Thursday, November 12, 2009

Goldfish on the lawn.


I was walking past Paulik Park. City workers were standing beside pallets stacked with what looked to be rough-cut paving stones. Hmm. Where were they to go?

Later in the afternoon I returned. The stones had been scattered throughout the garden and wooded area.

A bit of history: the park was reclaimed from a cluster of old residential properties, one of which once also housed a commercial water garden, a place to purchase water lilies and other aquatic plants. There are remnants of the water garden's ponds, which in their present state are pretty much a mystery.

And a surprise: the stones are inscribed. Many bear poems, a single stone, or a series.

Within the broken concrete shell of a pond from the water gardens:

EVERY YEAR
AT
HALLOWEEN
THERE WAS A
BONFIRE

A
MOUNTAIN
OF
BULB CRATES

BURNING
ON THE
FROZEN ICE
OF THE
WATER GARDENS

They haven't all been placed, but of those I have seen, this is my favourite:


2 comments:

Karen said...

That is so random and very cool. Is it an art installation from the college or ??

Hugh said...

Karen, I haven't found out the source or inspiration. There are several dozen stones. Every time I go there I find more.