Thursday, December 10, 2009

The pros and cons of making oneself spherical.

I came across a little brown bird sitting on a lawn next to a cedar hedge. It was difficult to tell what sort of LBB it was, because, well, its head was missing.

However, it was definitely a living, headless LBB. It was shivering.

Suddenly, Pop! It revealed itself. A Golden-crowned Sparrow.

I assume the head-in posture was a means of conserving heat. The bird was in such a vulnerable spot, though, in plain view of any passing cat, crow, dog or accipiter, that I don't know for certain that it wasn't a bit addled. Perhaps a recent window bonk.

It hopped into the hedge.

Sorry to wake you and cause a bit of a chill, but at least I didn't eat you.

6 comments:

Nell Jean said...

The north wind doth blow,
And we shall have snow,
And what will poor robin do then,
Poor thing?
He'll sit in a barn,
And keep himself warm,
And hide his head under his wing,
Poor thing.

I thought it was Longfellow, but my source said it was from Mother Goose, no author.

Hugh said...

Thanks for the poem, Nell Jean, Sweet, and very appropriate. Thanks for the pick too!

Seabrooke said...

I like Nell's poem, I hadn't heard that one before. It reminds me of my favourite, The Last Word of a Bluebird by Robert Frost.

That second image would make a great bird ID quiz photo. If it were of an eastern species I'd ask if we might use it in the Ontario Field Ornithologists' quiz. :)

Hugh said...

Seabrooke,

Another charming bird poem. Thanks! You could still use the picture as a tease. If someone came up with an eastern Zonotrichia it should count, at least half a point.

Karen said...

I don't have any bird poetry to share, sorry. I was worried this was going to be a post about how someone's cat had separated the poor bird from its head! Glad it was only resting/conserving heat. Maybe it will be a tiny bit warmer tomorrow and everyone can feel a bit less addled?! I for one am @#(*& sick of the extra 10 min. I have to spend every morning scraping ice off of every window of the car before our school run!

Hugh said...

Karen, My first thought on finding it was cat-job, and then I saw the bird was moving.

I think we're easing out of the cold, into snowy-slushiness. I'm not sure if that helps with the window-clearing. Probably it does, a bit.