Thursday, December 24, 2009

Upside of snow.

Last year at this time there was (were?) 41 cm of snow on the ground. This year, nothing more than a hint of morning frost. That is the more typical situation here; a white Christmas = a blue Moon.

Snow is good for suburbs at Christmas, not merely for the nostalgic aesthetic it contributes, but also because it reminds us that this way of living relies on automobiles far too much. Since no one is going to stop driving anytime soon, snow has the secondary, somewhat ironic effect of forcing us to actually meet each other face-to-face, and usually in remarkably good cheer, as we shovel our driveways and give each other pushes through the deep spots.

Snow hinders travel, but encourages us, briefly, to behave like neighbours.

Merry Christmas. I hope you get just the right amount of snow.

8 comments:

kaholly said...

Merry Christmas, Hugh. Lovely photos, and insightful post. I stopped driving over a year ago and it has been one of the best things I've done. Funny how I seem to be able to manage as before. Thank you for your delightful stories and beautiful photography. I look forward to another year of enjoying your blog. -karen

Tim said...

I think Christmas alone does a good enough job of causing traffic chaos, as I observed outside Landsdowne this afternoon. I'm glad I'm not a last minute shopper. I just loved how it was sunny today (and should be tomorrow, as well).

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Mr. RPL.

Hugh said...

Thank you Karen. Very Merry Christmas to you.

Hugh

Tim, I try to avoid last-minute shopping, but something always pops up. I was at Lansdowne yesterday. Not fun. Merry Christmas to you and yours too,

Hugh.

randomtruth said...

Snow? What's that? Merry Christmas to you and yours from California Hugh. :)

-Ken

Pablo said...

Warm wishes and best regards coming your way, Hugh!

Dave Ingram said...

Season's Greetings Hugh! I second the car thoughts - we live about three blocks from downtown Courtenay and try to walk in whenever we can. What's the point of driving 3 blocks?!?

Hoping for some snow...

<a href="http://daveingram.ca/>Dave</a>

Karen said...

A little late here but hope you had a fun day with the family. We had the perfect amount of snow for me this year - ZERO! Last year's deluge was too nutty. But I agree, it did slow things down a lot, and not just in the suburbs! In this hilly city, many of us just had to stay put, do things within walking distance, stay home, see neighbors, etc. as you say. It was nice in some ways for sure. I admire you for not having a car, that must be really challenging at times with kids and in a place which is more set up for driving.

Hugh said...

Ken, Thanks, and best of 2010 to you down in CA.

Pablo, Happy New Year to you and your family, human and otherwise.

Dave, I'm glad I came upon your blog this year. Good to connect with you again.

Karen, Unfortunately my not driving is not a choice. It's more of a curse. If I could, I certainly would, although I like to think I would still rely on it as little as possible.