Friday, January 8, 2010

Goosed.

A dreary day; the power went out, so I went for a ride. I found that the Richmond snow goose invasion is still on, today at Blundell School Park. This is a slightly (artificially) hilly place, and I enjoyed how the geese sprinkled themselves over the topography.

On my bike, I could approach them closely, to the point of almost running over the ones that strayed onto the path. However, whenever I dismounted, they made worried noises and hurried away. Animals know: ambulatory human is dangerous.

Bike-cam.

So I thought I'd try a bike-cam shot, riding along with Mr. Hesitation held to my eye as I negotiated the terrain, the trail, and the birds. All was going fine until up ahead among the trees. Someone let out an alarm call, and the geese took flight, first crashing into the trees, and then crashing into me. A young one smacked me right in the face. Mr. Hesitation, needless to say, was not up to the task of recording the impact.

4 comments:

KaHolly said...

Oh, my, that must have been so funny!
one of those times when you wish you had someone with you to witness the calamity and to laugh with afterward!

PSYL said...

Wow, you got hit by a Snow Goose!? Hope you are alright, but that sounds like a pretty funny (and terrifying) experience...

Karen said...

Ouch! Hope everyone was uninjured. Except maybe for Mr. H, which would give you a good excuse to replace him...

Hugh said...

The only injuries were to the dignities of those involved. Mr. H survived unsullied and unscathed.