Monday, January 11, 2010

Is it raining?

Why yes, it is, and has been for some time. I decide whether it is raincoatrain, or umbrellarain, or gumbootrain, or rainsuitrain, not by the radio report or TV weatherperson or Environment Canada online radar. I make my decision based on what's happening in the birdbath.

It is very warm here, and is raining all the way to the tops of the local ski hills, which are scheduled to host several olympic events next month. It is too early to worry that the events will be affected, although in el nino winters such as the present, warm, snowless weather can persist. Snow has been stockpiled on the mountain tops, just in case. Humans do odd things.

That above, by the way, is umbrellarain, slightly stronger than raincoatrain.

8 comments:

PSYL said...

Although in lower-elevation areas, I think it is gumbootrain...

It would be great to see the infamous rain from the West Coast ruining the Olympics (I'm not a big fan of it being here).

Wanderin' Weeta said...

PSYL: that's what Laurie was saying today. Another not-a-fan.

Gumbootrain (I like that!) lasts quite a while after it actually stops falling.

swamp4me said...

Umbrellarain can be hazardous to your health in certain seasons. Just ask the Interpreter (but then again, there were positive aspects to that incident...)

KaHolly said...

Could be worse! Could be snow!

randomtruth said...

Ah yes, the annual bumbershoot festival of the great pacific northwest - january 1st to december 31st... :)

Kim and Victoria said...

I like your rainscapes.

Karen said...

It has been such an oddly un-rainy winter, I am kind of enjoying it being a little soggy for a while, just to balance things out. I admit to a shameful history of Winter Olympics obsession, but did not make the switch to digital TV so have no way to watch it and am trying to not care. Pretty weird to have events on stockpiled snow! I finally bought some rain boots, so now I can choose between all of your aforementioned options. Seattle people seem oddly averse to umbrellarain, preferring to just get wet (like the crows).

Hugh said...

Karen, People here carry golf umbrellas, which are useful except when it is windy, in which case they tend to fail.

I need it to stop raining so the man can fix my roof. They need dry weather to work on cedar.