Friday, January 29, 2010

Look! (Again.)

A middle-aged couple was standing on the dyke, staring across the river to the airport. A JAL 747 was making the turn from the taxiway to the runway. The couple was staring at the plane. A Northern Harrier, after something, fell from the sky in front of them, landing in the long grass below their feet. But they were staring at that big, white plane with the red tail circle.

"Look!" said the man on the bike with the camera (yes, that would be me). He pointed at the raptor splayed before them. They didn't look. They continued staring at the big white plane with the red tail circle. The engines kicked in, the jet started rolling, and the harrier took off over the river.

4 comments:

PSYL said...

Right BELOW their feet!? What I'd give to be in that moment....

Fall on deaf ears...always.

jodi (bloomingwriter) said...

Heh. I'd rather watch the hawk than the plane any day. We came to a complete stop here yesterday watching a barred owl, hanging out around our place. Now hubby's going to put up an owl box built for us by a friend. I like planes, but I like genuine fliers better.

ksdoolittle said...

All I can do is shake my head. There are no words. I, unfortunately, know people just-like-that. It saddens me.

Karen said...

Depressing. How can people be so incurious about the natural world right around them, literally at their feet? Argh.