Monday, March 8, 2010

It came from the cattails.

I was with my son at the Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary. We came around a bend to meet an irritated Marsh Wren scolding from the top of a cattail.

Its tiny weight bent double the tip of the seed head. Was it angry at us? No. It was upset by the presence of two other tall bipeds.

I said to my son, who was carrying a paper bag full of grain, "Remember who we met at this very spot a little over a year ago?"

He said, "Yup."

"Well, they're here again, and one has spotted your paper bag." While the farther bird remained in place, the nearer one approached, slowly but steadily, staring at the bag with unblinking orange eyes.

Recalling what happened last time, Son did the wise thing. He dumped some of the grain on the path, and backed away.

The bird was adept at plucking wheat seeds from the turf and somehow drawing them up into its crop. And the wren? I forget what happened with the wren. In the presence of cranes it's hard to pay attention to anyone else.

3 comments:

KaHolly said...

Oh, I'm so sure! What wren? Great shots. Do you think the crane really remembered what would be in that bag?? That's amazing. Beautiful bird that I've only seen on a visit to C. Florida one early spring. ~karen

Amber Coakley said...

No kidding! Wow! I saw Sandhill Cranes at Bosque del Apache - how awesome for you and your son to see them only a few feet away!

Kim and Victoria said...

Wise son. Gorgeous birds.