Friday, March 19, 2010

Lothario.

Recently, fellow Richmond blogger PSYL described an encounter with an amorous male pheasant (scroll down past the herons) at the Terra Nova Community Garden. He was somewhat alarmed, but my reaction? Hurt!

I visit that garden at least once a week. Why hasn't the pheasant ever made a pass at me?

I decided to give him another chance. I parked my bike in the garden and watched and waited. I heard him call. I strained my eyes. Eventually I saw motion, something red, between two of the farthest beds. I smoothed my hair and casually strolled in that direction, one hand on my hip, the other twirling my invisible parasol.

I could see him giving me the once over. My not inconsiderable charms were working.

He snuck up behind foliage for a closer look. I guess he liked what he saw.

Well, helllooooo.


He stretched and called and fluttered his wings. Success!

Then he winked, and walked away, out of the garden and into a hedgerow.

Was I meant to follow? Awkwardness descended upon the garden.

With confused emotions I retrieved my bike and began the long ride home.

8 comments:

Victoria said...

Well. And I thought human dating dynamics were complicated.

KaHolly said...

Sweet! I'm glad you weren't disappointed! Wonder who's more confused? You or the pheasant? What a handsome bird! ~karen

PSYL said...

Cool, you saw it too! Ahh, give it time to get to know you. Eventually, you'll wonder about the fate of this bird if it doesn't learn the safe distance to keep between (wo)man and fowl.

Karen said...

See, I knew this weird spring was just confusing the heck out of everyone! Hilarious.

Susannah (Wanderin' Weeta) said...

That invisible parasol get them every time!

biobabbler said...

delightful. =) What a gorgeous creature. Thanks so much for documenting and sharing that vignette.

I swear at a county fair I saw a gorgeous, freshly groomed, velvety black cow do a double take at my husband (big, burly guy), and blink her mile long black eyelashes at him. My husband saw it too, and laughed.

I didn't know cows did double takes, but apparently, when presented with a handsome man built for handling large animals, they just might. =)

outwalkingthedog said...

Very funny, charming story, and such a Handsome Dan of a bird. Keep us posted on his romantic prospects.

outwalkingthedog said...

Very funny, charming story, and such a Handsome Dan of a bird. Keep us posted on his romantic prospects.