Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pink & Purple

The first flowers in the garden are pink.

Salmonberry, Rubus spectablilis (native shrub). Another spectabilis, meaning "striking,"

is old-fashioned bleeding heart, Dicentra spectabilis (non-native).

And this is red-flowering currant, Ribes sanguineum, a native species, although this plant is a paler cultivar. The wild type is sanguineumer.

Finally, Purple. I prefer this version to the more commonly-watched Rube Goldberg Machine version. I've always liked marching bands.

4 comments:

Cameron said...

I love pink and purple. Your photos and blooms are lovely!

Cameron

Hugh said...

Thanks, Cameron!

Hocking Hills Gardener said...

I love the blooms of your red currant. My Bleeding Hearts are just now coming up so it will be awhile yet for them.

Kimberly said...

Pink and purple are awesome, as are your photos! NICE!