Monday, April 19, 2010

Cirque de BBQ.

Look what happened when I opened the lid of the barbecue this morning. I accidentally created a spiderling string.

They dangled down from the handle onto the grill. I left the lid open so they could sort themselves out.

Later, I found they had re-massed beneath the handle. As I tried to focus on the little golden spider-ball, a signal was sent and they immediately dispersed, like commandos rappelling from helicopters.

Later, I found they had they climbed back up again and resumed the ball formation. I decided to leave them alone. They've had enough action for one day.

For more arthropodan awesomeness, see Edition 3 of An Inordinate Fondness, as gleamingly presented at Fall To Climb.

5 comments:

Kim and Victoria said...

Oh my gosh. I love your pics, but I would have had a heart attack seeing all those baby spiders!
I LOVE that you're so considerate of them.

biobabbler said...

Wow. That's a-MA-zing. I've never seen anything like it. Thanks!

Sally said...

I adore these little guys. Girls. Tragically, though, we had a hatch indoors this spring while there was snow outside. I tried, but...

Have you tired of the Daily Heron? Missing my fix... (grin)

Linda said...

Wow! That's the first hatch of spiders I've ever seen--very cool!

biobabbler said...

btw, pictures of spider eggs and baby, baby spiders... magnified x 8. http://biobabbler.blogspot.com/2010/04/our-phirst-photo-quiz-phriday.html