Friday, April 16, 2010

A day's work.

I passed through Paulik Park twice yesterday, first around noon. A Pileated Woodpecker was chipping bark off a hemlock snag,

and lapping up some sort of arthropod. I would guess carpenter ant, but couldn't see what she was after. I ran a few errands and two hours later passed back through the park. From a distance I could hear the bird still hammering away. Thock, thock-thock.

She had cleared an impressive stretch of bark.

Pileated Woodpeckers and dead, bug-infested trees--every park should have them.

4 comments:

catmint said...

this post deserves at least 20 picks - so wonderful to see habitat for wildlife instead of carefully screened garden islands.

keewee said...

I also love to see the wildlife for a change.

Kim and Victoria said...

I couldn't agree more; gorgeous bird.

biobabbler said...

I am SO ENvious. Pileateds were way, way up there re: my favorite wildlife sightings when in the PNW. What a spectacular creature. Nice pics!