Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Schloonk!

Today, a breezy, sunny day with big puffy clouds, I walked across yon bridge (picture taken on a gloomy January day). At bridge-top I glanced up, and uh-oh, an Osprey was dropping from the sky, apparently aiming at my head. I ducked, and it swooped back up, then dropped feet-first, a scant arms-length away, into the pond.

"Schloonk!"

That was the noise it made.

The bird rose from the water with a fat Brown Bullhead in its talons. It flew away, over the blocks of condominiums.

This was the first time I visited Garden City Park without my camera. Urr.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Oh! Well, maybe you still would not have got a photo, if you were busy defending your pate. Schloonk, bye bye bullhead.

ksdoolittle said...

What an exciting experience. One of those "time stands still" moments, to be sure. Definitely will leave an imprinted picture on your brain, but sorry you didn't have your camera! ~karen

biobabbler said...

Wow. How thrilling!

A friend of mine would have said that it happened because you didn't have your camera. He showed up to help me check herp arrays one morning and cheerily said "I brought my camera so we won't catch anything, 'cause I'm in a hurry today." Sure enough, we tended empty buckets that day. =) Glad for you. I love seeing wildlife 100% focused. Inspiring.

Amber Coakley said...

Wow! Best action/adventure tale I've heard today. I was just talking with a friend about getting a small point-and-shoot camera for all of those times that I see something really cool, but don't have my (big & heavy w/lens)camera.