Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The season for tanagers.

A few Western Tanagers liven up a woodlot. You first notice a robin warble that isn't quite right, and then perhaps spy a goldfinch that fires from tree to tree like an arrow, which is obviously wrong.

See? Zoom!

Tanager! One of the west's more spectacular Neotropical migrants. There were three in a small cluster of birches, two males and a female. What fun.

Here's something too. You don't just watch them. They watch you back.

The inquisitive Western Tanager.

The collective term for tanagers is "season."

4 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, lucky! I would love a season of tanagers in my backyard. But for the moment I am happy with whatever you call a passel of finches.

Fiona Cohen said...

I think the call is sort of like a robin in a hurry with the hiccups.

Kim and Victoria said...

I think that's one of the birds I saw in our garden today! So very colorful.

Sally said...

I think it's a "charm" of finches, isn't it? Tanagers (rare around here) make you laugh out loud-- such colors!