Sunday, July 11, 2010

Mr. Orange.

There was a nice low tide near mid-day today, so off we went to Boundary Bay. Son and I walked out on the tidal flats, miles it seemed, to where the breakers hit the shore. We saw the usual fare, with the addition of this orange one.

A small Pycnopodia a little the worse for wear.

I picked it up with one hand, holding the camera with the other. I was reminded how soft and slippery these guys are. Oops, dropped it. Notice the tube feet extending from the oral (bottom) surface.

Note also that something had taken a bite out of Mr. Orange. See the four small regenerating legs.

6 comments:

meemsnyc said...

Wow! I've never seen anything as cool as that before! That is amazing!

Arati said...

amazing. what is it though?

Eskarina said...

Cool!
I didn't know they came into Boundary bay!
Just what I needed, another excuse to head to the beach.
:)

Karen said...

Who would dare to bite the badass of the sea star family? I thought these guys would win in a throwdown with just about anyone.

Hugh said...

Arati, It's a sunflower seastar (starfish).

Eskarina, I've never seen one there either. Most of the ones I've seen previously were hauled up with crab traps in much deeper water.

Karen, I dunno. Dogfish?

KaHolly said...

Beautiful seastar! I've only seen purple seastars here in our waters. ~karen